Graphics in Linux
Windows Installation notes for bleeding edge:
(Tested on windows server 2003)
Working, still being fixed:
- get WDK 7.1 (generally get the latest)
Bugs to submit:
- RFC virtio chardev: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2010-August/000706.html
Other remote display systems - from pixel oriented to higher level
- The Octopus Laboratoria de Sistemas (based on Plan-B, based on Plan-9) - centrelized high level (/view) UI
- NeWS - http://www.art.net/studios/Hackers/Hopkins/Don/lang/NeWS.html
- (todo: get the manual: NeWS 1.1 Manual 1987; Sun Microsystems; Mountain View, California)
- Zack Rustin, 2D Musing - https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=27901662&postID=7439618457006823326
- THINC - http://www.ncl.cs.columbia.edu/research/thinc/. Ph.d released this year. Eerily close architecture to SPICE.
- Agents that are all running inside the guest:
- spice-vdagentd+spice-vdagent (vdservice/vdagent in windows guests)
vmware open source tools - http://open-vm-tools.sourceforge.net/
Windows Driver Development
Win 8 debugging via network
win8 got a new kd transport, kdnet.dll. Getting it to work is a fun exercise.
- developing drivers in vs2011 @sasha's blog with explanation how to turn off UAC and run VS elevated for initial installation.
- livekd didn't try yet
- network card problems for unsupported / buggy combination of network card and win8 kdnet. thread has interesting registry keys.
- manually setting up network debugging. There is also a //build lecture
- cirrus linux driver lwn article - https://lwn.net/Articles/495642/